I wanted to write yesterday but I was just too exhausted and lazy. I just wanted to watch a couple of youtube videos and sleep. I did just that.

My meeting with the producer was somewhat frustrating. I guess because I got knocked out from the start. What I thought was gonna be a very simple request, turned out to be a big issue 😨
I thought I had it figured out. I had a song that had a beat and a sound. I showed it to the producer and told him I want this beat and sound.

Here comes the first punch, "This is not a sound" 😳
This is sampling. The french are best at it. Daft Punk. I got some great info but I was like "can't we replicate this sound or get something like it". To achieve this sound we have to get a bunch of songs and sample them and hope that we can achieve the sound 😱 It was a big deal and not achievable.
I gave up. I'm not as informed and professional like him. It is his job and he knows it better.

Moving on, we got the beat down. I gave him a melody to go with the beat but the beat was too slow.
We upped the tempo but it was clear that there is no room for error or experimentation. I'm sure that its also frustrating for him to work with such an amateur who want to get into every detail. One of the running problems is me not knowing the right expressions or instruments names to communicate it.

I shared how I wanted the song to sound. I want the beat build up like this. I want to use this part to feel like this. Use these kind of instruments. I thought I was broad enough.
He told me this way he is going to be an operator. Do I want that ?
"You can help me achieve this sound with your expertise and knowledge. There is a middle ground". No. It was either he produces or be an operator. Which should I choose?

"How about both".
I told him "don't worry about money, lets experiment until we get something great"
This is not how it works. We can't experiment unless we are doing experimental music. Do I want to do that ?
Eventually, I was down by the fifth round 😜
I told to him to show me what he can do. We can start from there.

Looking on the bright side, we got the melody down and planted the seed for the song and it sounded good. There is a change in the chorus that I'm still not sure of but next time we meet I will see if it works. I hope it does. We also got our eyes on a singer online that sounds really great. I actually wanted to hire him for my first song.

On another note. I saw "Assassin's Creed". What a waste of time. Sometimes you wonder how some movies are so bad. Pity, Assassin's creed's character is a cool character. Not anymore 😂


Comments

Popular posts from this blog